Saturday, August 27, 2011

Henna Stencil Tshirt DIY Tutorial

I love to get my hands hennaed for weddings, festivals, Eids or really any reason to decorate myself.

Henna, or mehendi, refers to the dye prepared from a flowering plant and the art of temporary tattooing based on those dyes.  It has traditionally been used in North Africa, the Middle East and Asia.

Personally I've never been a big fan of permeate tattoos (even though I grew up with a grandmother who had facial tribal tattoos) as they seem, well, permeate. But henna tattoos can be changed or placed on different body parts and only last for a few days.

If you are still torn about putting tattoos on your body, then  put them on a t-shirt!

For today's craft, my friend Rita, who owns Caravan Serai, had brought me back some tattoos stickers that you can put on your hand and just paste the henna over. So I thought it might be fun to see if the girls and I can use them to stencil over a t-shirt.
Henna Stencil Tshirt DIY Tutorial

Supplies
Prewashed t-shirt
Cardboard sized to fit in the t-shirt
Fabric paint
Sponge brush
Pencil
Paper
Scissors
Henna sticker stencil

Put your stencil design under a piece of paper and trace over the outline. Cut out the outline.

Place your cardboard inside the shirt so that your fabric paint does not bleed through. Center the piece of paper in the center of your t-shirt and put your stencil in the middle of your cut out.

Take your paint brush, dip it into the paint and sponge the stencil. Cover the whole design with the paint.

Let dry and carefully remove stencil.

Here is a close up of our painted stencil.

2 comments:

Raige Creations said...

what a great idea! And it turned out so nice! I would love to try this!

siegret said...

wow, what a great idea! I have a bunch of unused stencils and have been looking for something to spruce up some curtains.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...